We are lawyers for massage therapists and have extensive experience defending registered massage therapists (“RMTs”) facing complaints and other regulatory challenges at the College of Massage Therapists of Ontario (“CMTO”).
How We Assist Massage Therapists
Our team of defence lawyers assists massage therapists with various regulatory issues, including the following:
- Responding to various inquiries at the College of Massage Therapists of Ontario, including drafting responses to patient complaints, which are reviewed by the CMTO’s Inquiries, Complaints, and Reports Committee (“ICRC”);
- Navigating issues related to CMTO registration and entry to practise, annual registration renewal, and the CMTO quality assurance program;
- Defending massage therapists at CMTO discipline hearings, including cases involving sexual abuse allegations where a zero tolerance policy is in effect;
- Representing massage therapists in CMTO appeals before the Health Professions Appeal and Review Board (“HPARB”) (e.g. where a decision of the ICRC has been made);
- Working with massage therapists to respond to allegations of professional misconduct at the CMTO;
- Assisting with CMTO fitness to practice matters;
- Representing massage therapists with insurance delisting issues;
- Reporting past history, including criminal charges and findings of guilt, to the CMTO; and
- Advising massage therapists on employment and other contract issues related to their staff or practice.