We are lawyers for midwives who face regulatory issues at the College of Midwives of Ontario (“CMO”). This includes advising midwives on issues related to the Regulated Health Professions Act and the Midwifery Act, 1991, as well as on the College’s recent, more principle-based Professional Standards, which came into effect on June 1, 2018.
How We Assist Midwives
Our team of defence lawyers will assist midwives with various regulatory issues, including the following:
- Responding to various inquiries at the College of Midwives of Ontario, including drafting responses to patient complaints at the CMO, which are reviewed by the Inquiries, Complaints, and Reports Committee (“ICRC”) in accordance with its ICRC Risk Assessment Framework;
- Defending midwives at CMO discipline hearings;
- Assisting midwives in CMO registration applications;
- Representing midwives in appeals before the Health Professions Appeal and Review Board (“HPARB”) (e.g. where a decision of the ICRC has been made);
- Assisting with CMO fitness to practice matters;
- Reporting past history, including criminal charges and findings of guilt, to the College of Midwives of Ontario; and
- Advising midwives on other practice issues that may arise, including employment and contractual issues, fitness to practice, unauthorized practice, and privacy and confidentiality.