We are lawyers for opticians facing regulatory issues at the College of Opticians of Ontario (“COO”).
How We Assist Opticians
Our team of defence lawyers will assist opticians on various regulatory matters, including the following:
- Responding to various inquiries at the College of Opticians of Ontario, including drafting responses to patient complaints, which are reviewed by the Inquiries, Complaints, and Reports Committee (“ICRC”) at the COO;
- Defending opticians at COO discipline hearings;
- Assisting opticians in COO registration applications;
- Representing opticians in COO appeals before the Health Professions Appeal and Review Board (“HPARB”) (e.g. where a decision of the ICRC has been made);
- Assisting with COO fitness to practice matters;
- Reporting past history, including criminal charges and findings of guilt, to the College of Opticians of Ontario;
- Advising opticians on issues related to the Regulated Health Professions Act and the Opticianry Act, 1991, as well as the College of Opticians Practice Guidelines; and
- Advising opticians on other practice issues that may arise, including employment and contractual issues, practicing with optometrists, mandatory reporting requirements, and privacy/confidentiality.