We are lawyers for physicians and have extensive experience defending physicians throughout every stage of the regulatory process at the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario (“CPSO”) by assisting them with complaints, investigations, and disciplinary proceedings. We also defend physicians in civil and criminal actions. We routinely represent physicians with matters involving hospitals, employment, the Ministry of Health, and the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (“OHIP”).
How We Assist Physicians
Our team of physician defence lawyers regularly works with physicians on the following issues:
- Responding to various inquiries at the CPSO, including defending physicians at CPSO discipline hearings and CPSO quality assurance inquiries;
- Representing physicians in CPSO appeals before the Health Professions Appeal and Review Board (“HPARB”) (e.g. where a decision of the CPSO’s Inquiries, Complaints, and Reports Committee (“ICRC”) has been made);
- Navigating standard of practice issues, OHIP billing and insurance issues, record keeping, privacy breaches, and public health inquiries;
- Assisting physicians with CPSO registration matters and licence applications at the CPSO, including working with foreign trained physicians;
- Assisting medical residents with academic issues;
- Assisting physicians with Ontario return of service agreements;
- Reporting past history, including criminal charges and findings of guilt, to the CPSO;
- Representing physicians in hospital processes and hearings; and
- Advising physicians on employment, business, and contract issues related to their staff or other physicians.