We are lawyers for psychologists who face complaints, investigations, and disciplinary proceedings at the College of Psychologists of Ontario (“CPO”).
How We Assist Psychologists
Our team of defence lawyers will assist psychologists with various regulatory issues, including the following:
- Advising on compliance with the Regulated Health Professions Act, the Psychology Act, 1991,and the Standards of Professional Conduct;
- Assisting psychologists in CPO registration applications;
- Responding to various inquiries at the College of Psychologists of Ontario, including drafting responses to patient complaints at the CPO, which are reviewed by the Inquiries, Complaints, and Reports Committee (“ICRC”);
- Navigating issues related to the CPO’s Quality Assurance Program, including those related to its Self Assessment Guide and Continuing Professional Development Plan, the Mandatory Continuing Professional Development Program, and Peer Assisted Review;
- Defending psychologists at CPO discipline hearings;
- Representing psychologists in CPO appeals before the Health Professions Appeal and Review Board (“HPARB”) (e.g. where a decision of the ICRC has been made);
- Assisting with CPO fitness to practice matters;
- Reporting past history, including criminal charges and findings of guilt, to the College of Psychologists of Ontario; and
- Advising psychologists on employment-related matters, such as those related to the supervision and training of staff, working on interdisciplinary teams, and group consultation agreements.